I REMEMBER (2)

by - octubre 01, 2023

 

2Hombre y mujer corriendo en un campo
Cornelis Van Poelenburch, "The Expulsion from Paradise" (after 1646)





I remember very old people when I was very young. Their houses smelled funny.


I remember a boy. He worked in a store. I spent a fortune buying things from him I didn't want. Then one day he wasn't there anymore.


I remember daydreams of dying and how unhappy everybody would be.


I remember that life was just as serious then as it is now.


I remember a girl in school one day who, just out of the blue, went into a long spiel all about how difficult it was to wash her brother's pants because he didn't wear underwear.


I remember saying "thank you" in reply to "thank you" and then the other person doesn't know what to say.


I remember that I never cried in front of other people.


I remember seeing colors and designs by closing my eyes very tightly. 


I remember monkeys who did modern paintings and won prizes.


I remember "I like to be able to tell what things are."





Joe Brainard (1942-1994). I Remember. New York City: Granary Books, 2001.

You May Also Like

0 comentarios